Record Sealing

  1. Home
  2. Worcester, MA & Springfield, MA Criminal Defense Lawyers
  3. Sealing Records in Massachusetts – Criminal Defense Lawyers

Sealing Records in Massachusetts – Criminal Defense Lawyers

Interested in How to expunge a Criminal Record in MA? We Can Assist You Today with Sealing Records in Massachusetts

Those with a criminal record may find they are having trouble seeking employment, applying for a loan or credit, or are ineligible to purchase a firearm. Because this can happen with even small, nonviolent convictions, the law has created provisions to allow individuals to petition to have their criminal record sealed from these background checks.

Are you wondering how to seal a criminal record? Our attorneys can help with sealing records in Massachusetts, and you may be able to expunge a criminal record with our help.

Worcester criminal defense attorney from Murphy & Rudolf, LLP​ may be able to help you expunge a criminal record. We recognize the impact a criminal conviction can have on your life, which is why we work hard to help all of our clients restore their life back to normal quickly and cost-effectively. We have a detailed knowledge of the process for sealing criminal records, and we can provide you with reputable advice when preparing your petition.

Interested in how to seal a criminal record? Let us assist you; contact Murphy & Rudolf, LLP today at (508) 762-1397.

When Can You Seal Your Record?

It is important to note that you cannot seal all criminal records. In Massachusetts, Level 2 and 3 sex offenses are forbidden from being sealed due to sex offender registration requirements. Otherwise, all convictions, including felonies, can be sealed after a certain amount of time has passed.

Interested in how to expunge a criminal record in MA? Sealing records in Massachusetts requires the completion of certain waiting periods:

  • Dismissed, not-guilty, no probable cause, or Continued Without Findings results: immediately (no waiting period)

  • Misdemeanor convictions: 5 years

  • Felony convictions: 10 years

In order to seal your record, you must fill out a record request and a “Petition to Seal” form, then submit them with the court where your case was heard. The judge of that court will then decide whether or not your case warrants being sealed. This means you will likely have a short hearing before a judge, where you will have to demonstrate a “compelling government interest” in why your record should be sealed. You are allowed and encouraged to have a lawyer represent you for this hearing.

Request a FREE Consultation or Call 508-762-1397.
We are devoted to effective trial lawyering. We know how to deliver aggressive defense strategies and we know how to speak to juries and judges alike.

Criminal Defense

Diligent. Prepared. Determined.

Murphy & Rudolf LLP handles a wide range of legal issues, including criminal defense matters to complex civil litigation cases. No matter what your case involves, we understand you may be concerned about your future, rights, and interests. Our team of Worcester lawyers do all the investigatory work needed to help leverage your case into a favorable position. We fight tirelessly to secure a positive outcome with the results you need.  

Call us at 508-762-1397 today for a free consultation.


Call Us Today!

Call Us Today!

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Murphy & Rudolf, LLP Today! Our Worcester Trial Attorneys specialize in Criminal and Civil Matters. Call us or fill out the form and someone from our firm will reach out to you shortly to confirm an appointment.

Contact Murphy & Rudolf, LLP Today! 508-762-1397

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. © All Rights Reserved.

English English Español Español