Assisting Clients Throughout Worcester County
Darren Griffis is a top-rated criminal defense attorney with a proven track record of success defending the rights of his clients facing criminal charges in the Worcester area and throughout Massachusetts.
Attorney Griffis focuses his litigation practice on criminal defense and criminal appeals in both state and federal courts throughout Massachusetts. In addition to this litigation practice, Attorney Griffis also assists college students who are facing university disciplinary proceedings for alleged violations of student codes of conduct, including allegations related to sexual misconduct (Title IX cases).
Attorney Griffis has developed a reputation for excellence in the courtroom in private practice, fighting for his clients at trial and during motion hearings challenging the government’s evidence or the methods used to collect that evidence. His criminal defense work includes assisting clients facing all types of felony and misdemeanor charges, including firearm, gun, or other weapons charges, crimes of violence, drug possession and possession with intent to deliver, assault and battery, DUI/OUI, violations of no-contact or restraining orders, reckless driving, vandalism, and breaking and entering and other theft offenses. He has also argued appeals before the Massachusetts Court of Appeals and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Before establishing his current practice, Attorney Griffis worked for another Worcester law firm, partnering with a criminal defense attorney with more than 40 years of experience, and as an Assistant Public Defender with the Rhode Island Office of the Public Defender. He was also previously a senior litigation associate in the Boston office of WilmerHale LLP, a large international law firm. The vast majority of his cases with that firm focused on complex white-collar criminal matters related to immigration law, securities and health care fraud, and export control regulations.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Title IX/University Discipline
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Rhode Island
- Federal District Court for District of Massachusetts
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, M.A. English, and American Literature, 2006
- Roanoke College – B.A., magna cum laude with Honors, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Worcester County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Kneeland Gribouski and Mooradian
- Rhode Island Office of the Public Defender
- WilmerHale LLP
Request a FREE Consultation or Call (508) 570-3037.
We are devoted to effective trial lawyering. We know how to deliver aggressive defense strategies and we know how to speak to juries and judges alike.