Sean Michael Smith, a Worcester Attorney
Dedicated Criminal Defense Serving Worcester County
Sean M. Smith focuses in the criminal defense of his clients at the district, superior, and federal courts. He handles all serious criminal matters, with a special focus on accusations of drug-trafficking, firearm, or sex offenses. In addition, Mr. Smith also handles sex offender registry (SORB) hearings and sexually dangerous person (SDP) cases. Mr. Smith’s thorough approach to each case and his strong commitment to his clients have garnered him the respect of the courts and opponents alike. Mr. Smith also handles select immigration cases.
Mr. Smith graduated with a doctorate from the University of Chicago, where he was a recipient of Century, Fulbright, and Andrew Mellon Fellowships. He then graduated from Boston College Law School where he focused on criminal and immigration law.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association, the Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Worcester County Bar Association.
Mr. Smith is fluent in the Spanish language.
Recently, Mr. Smith has delivered the following victories to his clients:
(1) Litigating the release of his client despite the government’s petition to detain him as a sexually dangerous person for life.
(2) Acquitting his client of charges of aggravated rape of a child and kidnapping before a jury at the Worcester Superior Court.
(3) Overturning his client’s conviction for vehicular manslaughter in the Suffolk Superior Court in Boston.
(4) Acquitting his client of operating his motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs at trial in Hingham District Court.
(5) Overturning his client’s plea agreement for breaking and entering and larceny from more than a decade ago and having the charges dismissed for immigration purposes.
(6) Acquitting his client of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence, despite a breathalyzer reading well over 0.08 in Worcester District Court.
(7) Winning Asylum for a citizen of Mexico due to his fear of gang violence before the Federal Immigration Court in Boston.
(8) Convincing the Worcester District Court to dismiss firearm charges against his client that carried a mandatory minimum of 18 months in the house of correction.
(9) Winning Cancellation of Removal for a greencard holder after she had been arrested for larceny and was put in deportation proceeding in the Federal Immigration Court in Boston.
(10) Acquitting his client of striking her family member in a domestic violence trial in Fitchburg District Court.
(11) Suppressing a large quantity of drugs found by State Troopers in the trunk of a car for a client charged with trafficking before the Worcester Superior Court, with the result that the Prosecution terminated the case.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- Boston College Law School
- Law Review: International and Comparative Law Review
- University of Chicago
- Reed College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Committee for Public Counsel Services
Request a FREE Consultation or Call 508-762-1397.
We are devoted to effective trial lawyering. We know how to deliver aggressive defense strategies and we know how to speak to juries and judges alike.