Do I Need a Lawyer for Child Support Modification? Legal Guidance Helps

Our Family Lawyers Are Often Asked, “Do I Need a Lawyer for Child Support Modification?” We Believe It Can Make All the Difference to Have Legal Help, and Here Is Why

Clients have called us asking, “Do I need a lawyer for child support modification?” These are often clients we have helped in family court, typically relating to divorce and child support scenarios.

Our answer is a bit nuanced. It is helpful to have an experienced family law attorney involved in your modification situations, however, it may not always be necessary. There are times, though, that having a lawyer involved in your child support modification will lead to the most favorable results.

If you are facing a child support modification situation, then you should contact our legal team for the representation that can significantly impact the outcome. The family lawyers are Murphy & Rudolf, LLP can help you if you are In the areas of Springfield or Worcester, Massachusetts. Contact our experienced legal team today to discuss the specifics of your case during a free consultation: (508) 570-3037.

Understanding the Process of Child Support Modification in Massachusetts

Child support modification becomes a reality when certain life circumstances arise and make it difficult for a parent to be able to make their child support payments. Parents may be eligible to modify the original child support agreement determined by the courts if the reasons are approved by the court.

Some of the reasons that a modification can be made to pre-existing court-determined child support include:

  • The parent paying child support loses their job or is demoted, making it harder to pay the agreed-upon amount of child support.
  • The parenting schedule changes and the non-custodial parent has the child more frequently.
  • There is a change in the needs of the child, including insurance, health care, medical treatment, or daycare.

The Process of Modifying Child Support Through the Courts

If both parents share an interest in having the child support payments changed, then it is a much easier situation. In cases like these, it is less of a necessity to have a family lawyer working with you. This is especially true if you have a positive relationship with your co-parent. However, if there is contention between you and your co-parent, then the process can be more difficult. For instance, if only one parent is in support of a modification, then that parent must first complete and file a Complaint for Modification form. With it must be included a Financial Statement and Child Support Guidelines Worksheet. The co-parent will receive the modification request in addition to a court date.

When to Involve a Family Lawyer

If you or your co-parent is not in agreement with the modification, then it is best to have a family lawyer on your side. Family law cases involving custody and child support can be difficult and emotionally draining to deal with. A family lawyer can help in the mediation process, as well as answer any questions you might have. A family lawyer will also be able to help with paperwork, ensuring it is filed correctly and on time.

Do you need help with a child support modification situation? If so, and you are in the areas of Springfield or Worcester, MA, then the family lawyers at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP can help you. Contact our team today to discuss the specifics of your case during a free consultation: (508) 570-3037.

Related Posts
  • Grandparent Visitation Rights in Massachusetts Read More
  • Discovering Contempt Of Family Court Orders In MA Read More
  • How to Make the Most of Your Free Family Law Consultation Read More