Unpaid Wages

Lawyer for Unpaid Wages & Benefits in Worcester

Middlesex and Hampden Counties Employment Law Services: Hire a Lawyer for Unpaid Wages

Under both Massachusetts and federal law, you must always be paid for wages that you have earned. The Worcester employment law attorneys at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP have represented clients in cases as a lawyer for unpaid wages and benefits.

Laws Regarding Wages & Benefits

Depending on your situation, there may be different ways of calculating the amount of wages that you are owed. The definition of “wages” may include benefits and other forms of compensation. Even if you quit your job or were fired or laid off, you must still be paid for all earned wages.

Wages and benefits you may be entitled to receive include:

  • Minimum fair wage
  • Tips
  • Overtime
  • Paid vacation time

Both Massachusetts and federal law require payment of a minimum fair wage. The minimum wage must be paid in cash, rather than company stock or deferred or contingent compensation. You must be paid at least a minimum wage for all the time you work, and a failure to pay is a violation of the Massachusetts Wage Act. The Worcester employment law attorneys at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP can talk with you and discuss your options for seeking the wages you deserve.

Tips & Overtime Pay

If you work at a restaurant and earn tips, the amount of the tips plus your hourly pay must be equal to or greater than the minimum wage. Your employer may not require you to share or “pool” tips with managers or employees who do not serve customers. Regarding overtime, unless you are in an exempt category of employees, you are entitled to be paid time and a half for all time that you work over 40 hours in a week, not counting commissions and bonuses.

Legal Assistance to Seek Unpaid Wages & Benefits

If you believe that you have been deprived of wages or benefits that you earned, you may be entitled to bring a lawsuit to recover the money. You must first file a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office. Then you must either wait 90 days or obtain permission from the Attorney General to file a lawsuit sooner.

If you successfully sue your employer for a violation of the Massachusetts Wage Act, you will be entitled to compensation equal to three times the amount of the unpaid wages. Furthermore, your employer will also be required to pay you for the cost of the lawsuit, including expenses and attorneys’ fees. Our Worcester employment law attorneys can use 50 years of combined experience to represent you against your employer and seek the wages you have earned.

Call us today at (508) 570-3037 for dedicated legal services in Massachusetts. We offer free initial consultations.

  • “The communication was clear, precise, and consistent; they answered all of our questions with a lot of patience.” - Jeanette F.
  • “They were truly the best attorneys I could have asked for.” - Louie W.
  • “Him and his staff are attentive, and respectful when it came to dealing with this case.” - Nilson Crespo

Get Started With a Consultation

Contact Us Today or Call Us at (508) 570-3037

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy