When You’re in Need of Support From a Family Law Firm — Murphy & Rudolf, LLP Answers Frequently Asked Questions About Family Law
There is a certain emotional weight that one carries when they are trying to navigate a divided household. Even on the best terms, it can be logistically and legally tricky. But when the terms of separation are contentious, as they often are, having legal support you can fully trust to represent you and your best interests through the process can truly make all the difference. If you live in the Worcester area and are in need of a family law firm, the team at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP has the experience necessary to find the solutions that best serve you and your family.
Contact us today for a free consultation: 508-762-1397.
Family Law FAQs
Do I still need a family law firm if my ex-partner and I were never married?
Family law firms specialize in many different types of cases. Family law does, of course, include cases of divorce whether it is contested or uncontested. In some states, you do not need a marriage license to be considered married. This is known as a “common law marriage.” However, here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, “common law marriage” is not recognized, no matter how long a couple may have lived together.
What is the difference between a contested and uncontested divorce?
An uncontested divorce means that both parties were able to agree on all terms and arrangements of the separation. Contested means there is disagreement. Divorces that start off uncontested may potentially hit points of tension and become contested, forcing both parties into longer litigation. Part of the reason it is important to find an experienced family law firm is to help keep the process as short and concise as possible, without compromising your best interests, especially if you have a family.
What are other areas that family law firms can help with?
Family law is a far more expansive field of legal practice than just divorce. Here at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP, our family law team can help with a wide range of family law matters. These include:
- Custody matters: We can help you assert your rights to have access to your children, regardless of your marital status.
- Paternity: In order to maximize financial and emotional support for your children, it is important that both parents are identified and confirmed.
- Child support: Our experienced advocates can help you pursue the proper amount of support.
- Alimony: We can help you understand the relevant laws regarding alimony in Massachusetts to pursue financial support from a spouse.
- Guardianship: Our family law attorneys know how to advocate for a guardianship when it’s necessary to protect children and how to defend against allegations that put a parent’s right to raise their child at risk.
- Contempt: When a court order or judgment is not followed you may need to seek enforcement of your rights to custody, parenting time, or child support.
- Modification: Life is not static and the Court understands that orders and judgments may need to change to keep things fair.
When You Are in Need of Help From a Family Law Firm
Regardless of your situation, the family law team at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP is here to support you. You can learn more about our regular and limited assistance representation services on our website, or you can contact us online or by giving us a call at F:P:Sub:Phone}.