How Is The Amount Of Alimony Determined In Massachusetts?

The amount of alimony is determined on a case-by-case basis. However, there are a variety of factors that influence the amount of alimony. Important factors we consider are how long the marriage was, your overall net worth, and living expenses.

Does Massachusetts Recognize Alimony Or Spousal Support Awards In A Divorce Case?

This is only for people who are not fighting over the custody of children. Getting spousal support is determined by looking at how long you’ve been married, the relative net worth of the parties, and what their relative ability to work is.

It is not as straightforward as using the child support formula, but an important consideration is that if you’ve been married for a long time and one person has never worked, spousal support or alimony is very likely to be ordered.

What Factors Impact The Division Of Property, Assets, And Debt In A Massachusetts Divorce?

The factors are based on the original amounts you brought into the marriage and the wealth that was accumulated during the marriage. As a general rule, everything that is accumulated during the marriage is marital property or debt, which will be divided 50/50 unless you are offsetting that with alimony or child support payments you would prefer not to make.

What Situations May Warrant For A Modification Of An Established Family Court Order?

Modifications happen all of the time. A significant life change for the children, parents, or employment are the common examples that influence a change.

Which Family Court Orders Can Potentially Be Modified?

Anything that involves children is subject to modification. The court will always consider the best interest of the children.

What Is The Process To Petition For A Modification To A Custody Or A Support Order?

The process starts from the beginning in a child custody case. The first step is to file a complaint. Then, you go into court and fill out some paperwork to get an initial hearing in front of a judge.

What Can I Do If The Other Parent Of My Child Filed A Petition To Modify A Court Order?

It is imperative that you respond to the petition. In court, you will have the opportunity to explain why you believe it should or should not be modified.

For more information on Alimony Or Spousal Support In A Divorce Case, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (508) 570-3037 or filling out a contact form today.

Related Posts
  • Grandparent Visitation Rights in Massachusetts Read More
  • Discovering Contempt Of Family Court Orders In MA Read More
  • How to Make the Most of Your Free Family Law Consultation Read More