We Understand the Stakes Are High When It Comes to Family Legal Matters. We Offer 5 Tips for How to Win a Child Support Modification Case.
Once a court makes an order requiring a parent to pay child support, the only way to legally change that order is to go back to court. If you think a change to your existing child support agreement is appropriate and you want to know how to win a child support modification case, you’re in the right place.
If you or a loved one feel there is an imbalance that needs to be corrected, contact the attorneys at Murphy & Rudolf, LLP today to discuss the details of your case: (508) 570-3037 or to fill out a contact form online.
How Do I File a Child Support Modification?
Child support modifications help to keep parenting arrangements in balance. They begin with either parent filing a form asking the court to take a new look at their child support arrangement. Requests are typically submitted following a material change in circumstance of the minor child and/or parents including, but not limited to:
- changes to a child’s living arrangements
- changes to a child’s expenses (health coverage, childcare, tuition)
- changes to a parent’s income, under the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines
Hearings allow judges to rule on whether support payments should hold, increase, or decrease. During your hearing, the judge will look at your existing child support order, consider changes to your circumstances since the order was made, and review financial statements from both parties in parallel with child support guidelines. Though the process is fairly straightforward, an experienced attorney can be the difference between things going your way or not.
5 Tips for How to Win a Child Support Modification Case
During your hearing, the judge will be trying to determine whether the claim made is justified. Any decision made by the judge is binding, so it’s important to be prepared to defend your position in order to better your chances of a ruling in your favor. The better you prepare, the more likely you are to get a favorable outcome, and hiring a strong legal advocate is key.
Here are 5 tips for how to win a child support modification case:
- Show up on time and make certain to demonstrate a willingness to compromise and cooperate.
- Make sure there is evidence to support that you have been living up to your obligations in your current child support arrangement.
- Be prepared with detailed, thorough documentation of your financial situation to support your claim that an adjustment is in order. Your child’s expenses are a key piece of your financial situation.
- Be prepared with detailed, thorough documentation of your custody agreement and any divergence from that arrangement that proves your kids are spending more or less time in your care.
- Anticipate how the court will see your case from all sides and be able to explain how the child support modification will benefit your child.
Legal Support for Parents
We believe that the amount of time you spend with your children and the amount of support you receive to raise them should be equal. We also understand that life circumstances change and sometimes parenting agreements need to change with them.
Our team of attorneys at Murphy and Rudolf, LLP are experienced in winning child support cases. We are meticulous and will defend your position tirelessly to pursue a favorable, fair outcome for you and your family. To request a free consultation or to simply get in touch, call (508) 570-3037 or fill out an online contact form on the website.